Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Community

Portugal’s National Day 2020

Today, the City of Linden proudly recognizes Portugal’s National Day, or as it is known by the nation’s locals: Dia de Camões, de Portugal e das Comunidades Portuguesas (“Day of Camões, Portugal, and the Portuguese Communities”). 

June 10th commemorates the emblematic Portuguese author Luís de Camões, writer of the national epic poem published in 1572, Os Lusíadas. Dedicated to the 16th-century King Sebastian, Os Lusíadas lionized Portugal’s era of world exploration through its description of the seafaring trade route found to provide passage to India by navigator Vasco da Gama. Camões’ writing made him into such an indelible symbol of national pride, even the Portuguese language itself is sometimes referred to by its nickname: “The Language of Camões.” 

Along with Camões poem, the pride of Portuguese exploration is also forever encapsulated in the country’s red and green flag. At the intersection of the two colors lies the Portuguese coat of arms sitting on the background of a spherical astrolabe, a tool utilized by early explorers such as Vasco da Gama to navigate their maritime journeys. 

Click here to see the gallery images taken today.

Virtual Mothers Day Celebration – 2020

Mother’s Day 2020 celebrations are different because of COVID. To show Mom how much she means to all of us on Mother’s Day Council President Michele Yamakaitis, my wife Danie and I invited our residents to participate in this year’s City of Linden Virtual Mother’s Day Celebration. Participants submitted a Mother’s Day Greeting to us for the City’s Virtual Mother’s Day Segment. On Mother’s Day, submitted videos will run on Linden TV, posted to social media and available to watch here. Happy Mother’s Day! – Mayor Derek Armstead

Heroes Come in All Shapes & Sizes

Linden Mayor honors 9 year old Gabriela for stepping up to help her town during the COVID-19 pandemic

Gabriela is a 9 year old student at School #2 who loves arts and crafts and helping others. One morning said to her mother, “Mommy, I want to help people that are not working and don’t have food. I want to find a way to help families in need that are going through hard times.” Little Gabriela came up with a plan to make bracelets to sell for $5 each. With the support of her mother, Gabriela used the money to buy food to help families affected by COVID-19 in her hometown of Linden, NJ. Gabriela will be helping the town with their COVID-19 Emergency Food Relief Program. Gabriela was so excited when Mayor Derek Armstead paid her a special visit.

Linden Parks and Recreation has put together a list of different activities and resources for families to utilize during COVID-19.

Visit parks, museums have all sorts of virtual adventures and do fun and interesting activities right from home.

Parks

Aquariums

Virtual Reality & 360 Degree Fun

Museums

Zoos

Projects, Great Reading, Activities, Other Live Cams & More

Communicating with City Hall

Dear Linden Residents,

We live in difficult times. I want to make sure that all Linden residents know that even during the current health crisis, my office always remains available and ready to hear and address any concern you have. Please never hesitate to reach out to a member of my staff or to me personally to make sure that I am immediately looped in. Thank you, and may we all do our best to stay safe and healthy.

Mayor Derek Armstead

Message from NJ Transit

NJ Transit remains committed to the safety of our customers and employees and is working to ensure a safe environment by following the health standards set by the CDC through the sanitation of our facilities and vehicles and the cleanliness practices of our employees. Additionally, NJ Transit remains committed to providing reliable and dependable service.

Per Governor Murphy’s Executive Order 125 requiring all personnel and customers on New Jersey Transit vehicles to wear face coverings, among other requirements, strengthening NJ TRANSIT’s efforts to protect the public during the COVID-19 pandemic, please be advised that: 

• NJ Transit now requires all riders to wear a face covering.
  • NJ Transit workers are authorized to limit passenger occupancy to 50% of the vehicle’s maximum capacity on all trains, buses and light rails.
  • Customers should be using NJ Transit services for essential travel only.

From Mayor Derek Armstead

Linden Residents,

As each day passes more people are tested and the numbers of those infected increases. We have lost so many Linden residents to COVID-19. Our hearts go out to those families as they mourn the loss of those they love. Please keep them in your prayers. I have a few timely requests for every Linden resident. Please… 

• keep everyone that has suffered from this virus in your prayers.
  • follow the CDC Guidelines to ensure everyone’s safety. 
  • stay home unless you are going out for essential items.
  • practice social distancing at all times.
  • stay home if you are sick.

We are all in this together, and we will continue working together to beat this.

Remember, to effectively communicate the latest COVID-19 information to our residents transparently and as quickly as possible, our COVID-19 Menu on the City website contains useful and current data. With questions concerning COVID-19 please call the Linden Board of Health Office or call the Coronavirus Emergency Hotline at 1-800-222-1222.

Please call my office with questions, concerns, for assistance, or even just to say hi.

Yours truly,

Mayor Derek Armstead