The City of Linden Police Department is seeking professional, qualified and energetic applicants for the position of Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer who, under the direction of the Chief of Police, shall conduct school safety and security duties within the Linden Board of Education School District. Please click here to read the full notice.
Once completed all applications must be returned via email or mailed to City of Linden City Clerks’ Office, 301 North Wood Avenue, Linden, NJ 07036. Applications that are mailed must be postmarked by the application deadline or they will be returned to the applicant. Please be advised that all employment applications must be completed at the time of submission. Please include copies of resumes, proof of qualifications or any additional documents you wish to submit with your application.
Submission Deadline is May 26th, 2023 at 4pm.
- The applicant must be a retired law enforcement officer less than 65 years of age, who served as a duly qualified, fully-trained, full-time officer in any municipality or county of this State or as a member of the New Jersey State Police and was separated from that prior service in good standing, within three years of appointment to this position;
- Applicant must be of good moral character and must not have been convicted of any offense involving dishonesty or which would make him/her unfit to perform the duties of this position;
- Applicant must be able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently and possess a high school diploma or its equivalent;
- Applicant must be sound in body and of good health, and physically capable of performing the functions of this position, determined in accordance with the Police Training Commission, including handgun qualifications;
- Applicant must possess a NJ Police Training Commission Basic Police Officer Certification or NJ State Police Academy Certification;
- Applicant must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License and reside within the state of New Jersey during the term of appointment;
- Applicant must successfully pass a background investigation, medical examination, psychological examination and drug testing.
Starting salary for the Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer shall be $35.00 per hour and he/she shall work a schedule up to 40 hours weekly, with the hours varied as necessary according to the assigned school’s schedule, and will only work on days when school is in session or hosting events on the premises.
Preference may be given to retired police officers who previously completed School Resource Officer (SRO) training. All others will be required to complete this training upon appointment. Further information concerning the Special Police Officer program may be found here.
Applications are available at the City Clerk’s office on the 2nd floor of City Hall, or online here. Applicants must submit a resume and Application for Employment to the City Clerk’s office by Friday, May 26th, 2023 @ 4pm.
For questions concerning this position, you may contact Linden Juvenile Aid Bureau Commander Det/Lt. John Mekovetz (908) 474-8617 or Det/Sgt. Christian Ramirez (908) 474-8456.
Click here to see all job opportunities available in the City of Linden.